Chiropractic adjustment is special procedure that a Chiropractor does to correct or relieve your underlying problem called subluxation. The Chiropractor spend years mastering to correct subluxation. Subluxation causes pressure on your nerves and causes other symptoms health conditions. Some Chiropractor’s adjust many segments for up to 7-10 segments. Chiropractor with more scientific and specific approach adjust less segments to get the most positive outcome. As an analogy we say that adjusting the spine is like hammer and a bent nail. We can quickly fix the problem by smashing the nail and bend the nail even more and we can never go back to fix it again. Or a more corrective adjusting is like gentle tapping and nudging can get the nail into the correct spot with out bending the nail further. Here are following Chiropractor’s approach, who will be specific and scientific:
- In which direction are the vertebra out of alignment?
- What is the minimal amount of force necessary for re-alignment?
- Is it better to adjust facing down or on their side?
- Are there any factors which would prevent the adjustment?
- Is the client relaxed enough for the adjustment?
An experienced Chiropractor has a check list in their mind and go through them quickly. As Chiropractor’s are more experienced, as they go through their mental checklist another factor plays is their intuition after many adjustments they have done in the past. An adjustment from one chiropractor may feel different when given by another. Simply due to physical differences of the Chiropractor being short or tall, different hand sizes, or many other can make a different chiropractic adjustment.
After an adjustment some people experience a feeling of deepening peace and relaxation. This relaxed feeling may last for the rest of the day or week and may lead to deep, refreshing sleep. Others have at times felt warm feeling flowing to various parts of their bodies that’s very soothing. Some feel very energetic and do all their chores and business that day with light, happy feeling.
Others may find that their symptoms have begun to disappear, that the problems that they came to the office for have begun to lessen after the first visit. This is never to be confused that the problem is gone for the rest of your life. Just like working out and building muscles, healing takes time. There are also some people who do not feel any different after an adjustment. People with chronic problems usually do not see the immediate results right away. This does not necessarily mean that they are not benefiting from their adjustments, absence of no affect after an adjustment just means that they’re not feeling any external reactions.
Another set of people, usually a minority, may feel discomfort, muscle soreness or even some pain and they may experience a headache or some other uncomfortable feeling. There are many reasons and they are the following:
- You may be experiencing a detoxification: Cleansing of your body starts to initiate after the adjustment. When toxins and poisons leave the body systems, there may be increase in discomfort such as headache, sniffles, a slight fever, strong feeling of drowsiness, lethargy or any similar reactions. There is increase of blood flow to get rid of the toxins from the body systems, they tend to have a external reaction that is noticeable.
- The muscles are starting to realigning the spine. After a Chiropractic adjustment, often the muscles that haven’t worked for many years may be in a weak state. Now that them muscles are starting to work again they may become sore or “charly horse.” This condition is temporary and will soon disappear after muscles have strengthened themselves.
- The nerves that were compressed for a long time are now coming back to life. Old injuries that haven’t healed completely may be reawakened in order for more complete healing to start. It is often times old memories and feelings associated with the original injury may also come to the surface.
There are claims online stating that there are sever complications such as stroke, neck pain, bleeding in the brain, headaches. Most of these online articles do not have much evidence and objective facts that are only for shocking people in the media. Although, if a Chiropractor was not being careful and reckless on the Chiropractic adjustments, there can be problems that can be created. There are chiropractic offices that tends to adjust the same locations or adjust as many as 10 segments or joints each visit. Some are not utilizing any examination before they adjust or after they adjust. When Chiropractors are specific and scientific, the adverse reactions are less likely to occur.
“Any person can learn to hit the high spots, replace and displace vertebrae, relieve one disease and cause another. Let us as chiropractors, show the world that chiropractic is a science….Why not be specific….Why not combine the science of chiropractic with the ART of adjusting?” – D.D. Palmer (Founder of Chiropractic Profession)
“Chiropractic is not easy. It is a scientific approach. In order to get those things right, they have to be so right. None of us can be too careful. Too many of the chiropractors are unwilling to really study enough to truly understand spinal mechanics.” –C.S. Gonstead ( Known as “Miracle Man,” Founder of Gonstead Chiropractic Technique)